Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Our First Time at the Mall Play Area

On October 1st I finally accepted the fact that the girls are ready for just one nap a day. I've been in denial for a while because the boys still take a great morning and afternoon nap. However, the girls take a great morning nap and then the afternoon nap becomes a social hour in their room. They talk, giggle, scream and just have fun for two hours in their cribs, but no sleeping occurs. I talked it over with my sister Jeannine and she said that I need to face the facts that they're growing up and they don't need as much sleep as before. Darn it! Why can't they need two naps a day forever?! That's life! Our schedule has been wonderful for a while now. They would wake up around 7 am and then go back down for their morning nap at 9 am. Then they'd have lunch at 11 am and then go down for their afternoon nap at 1 pm and not wake up until 3 or 4 pm. And then go to bed around 7 to 7:30 pm. When they were much younger, they used to take a short nap around 5 pm also. Those were the days........So, anyhow, I decided that it's better for them to take a longer afternoon nap and skip the morning nap. So, on October 1st, 5 days before the babies turned 16 months old, Karina and I decided to take the plunge. In the morning, we took them to the mall play area for the first time and they absolutely loved it. It was a little crazy me keeping track of two and Karina keeping track of two kids because there were many kids running around. However, since that time until today, they've had awful colds and I owe it all to the mall play area. I don't think we'll go back there until the RSV season is over. We did some fun things during those days between the mall play area and the time they got sick. When the babies got sick, we switched back to the old schedule of one nap in the morning and one in the afternoon because they needed the sleep. But, yesterday the babies proved to me that they are over their colds because the boys in their room and the girls in their room had social hour during the supposed afternoon nap. So, today we went back to one long nap in the afternoon and it went great! We took a walk to visit Aunt Nini and the kids' cousins. Cambria




CASSIE said...

I agree...that place is just one BIG GERM! But-the kids love it! I have to break down and go every now and again--and they almost always get sick from it...Hey..I want to have your kiddos over to play in that "tent system" before I put it away! I'll let you know!

Ellsworth's said...

Your brave to take all four kids to play at the mall. I don't know if I could do it!!!

Mandy said...

We live at the mall during the rainy days here! I just have to make sure to wash Kimball's hands really well and grab them if they get anywhere near his mouth!

Kelly said...

Oh, I just remember and mourned the loss of that morning nap!! They may not need it but I know you sure need them to need it!!!!
Quinci still (at 4 ) takes a great afternoon nap though so I count my blessings there!

Your kids are so big! I love watching them grow through pictures!

Janelle said...

I know where you are coming from. Right when you feel comfortable with their schedule it always changes. They are so cute!

Franco Fab Five said...

That was a brave thing to do. I am sure that they all loved it. I am impressed. I take my kids there only sparingly because of the chaos and mine are spread out in age. Kuddos to you!